Technical Advisory Council


Onsite Wastewater Treatment

April 3, 2007


Call to Order


Meeting held 9:50 a.m. on April 3, 2007 Michigan State University, Agronomy Farm.


Members & alternates present: Chuck Cousino, William Danly, Ric Falardeau, Ben Foster, Larry Johnson, Jim Kovalak, Ron Lindsay, Ted Loudon, Del Mokma, Dan Wagner & Regina Young.


Review of agenda. Approved.


Meeting Minutes Reviewed. Moved by William Danly and support by Larry Johnson to approve the minutes as amended. Approved unanimously.




Fabric review document- Ted reported he reviewed the filter fabric document and that it would be a valuable link. Regina will provide a link to Ben for adding to the web. Ted reported that a Sim-Tech representative had questioned the weight requirement identified on the TAC Filter Fabric Guidance Document.


Fabric suppliers- Ben to work with Ted to get the list of suppliers for posting on the website. Ted reported that the list will be completed and that he is awaiting clerical support.


Commercial Flow Study – Macomb reported obtaining additional local data for the study.


Concrete Septic Tank Manufacturer’s Association --- Dan reported that it appears that suppliers won’t be voluntarily working on becoming OWAP accredited. One manufacturer in southwest Michigan (Brutsche) is working on becoming certified as a result of the Veterans Affairs requirement for burial vaults.


Review of the draft OWAP support guidance document. Ric reported that the MDEQ should be in a position to support the guidance document, once approved. The group performed a work session on the draft document. Each member is asked to send email suggestions of changes to Regina who will incorporate into another draft.


Training Center Update --- Two sessions recently held and good turn out from septage haulers.


MDEQ Community Systems --- The guidance document is moving forward slowly and is in current MDEQ review. It appears that the On-site Wastewater Unit will be involved in community system reviews as part of the MDEQ processing.


Chuck reported that the MOWRA Hydro-model study is delayed. The MDEQ’s parameters to perform the study would be very costly ($80,000+). The group will be working with the Groundwater Discharge Unit to seek alternative avenues.


Grab Samples--- Del reported that no further work has been completed on the document. Bill questioned the intended audience. Ric identified that the use of grab samples by regulatory agencies as a measure of the proper operation. This has sometimes resulted in systems being “shut down” because of a grab sample. This document would educate on the appropriate use of grab samples.




NOWRA Conference --Ted reported that he attended the NOWRA conference recently. The United States is not keeping pace with the rest of the developed world as it relates to wastewater handling and water re-use. The meeting provided much “food for thought” regarding the application of decentralized systems. There is a CD available with the conference proceedings. Next year’s conference will be in April in Memphis, TN.  Ben also reported that the conference was very well done and included much information regarding water re-use.


Statewide Code—Ric reported that Senator Birkholtz is looking at renewing legislative work regarding wastewater systems. A wide variety of topics is addressed including but not limited to inspections every 10 years, product review, creation of an on-site advisory council, amending the seller’s disclosure act, fees, etc.


MOWRA—Chuck reported that MOWRA sees a need for future guidance documents regarding effluent filters, tank riser and pressure systems.


Next Meeting: Thursday, May 17, 2007 at the Agronomy Farm at 9:45 a.m. in the small conference room.


Meeting adjourned at 11:55 a.m.