Technical Advisory Council


Meeting Minutes



May 2, 2005


MSU Agronomy Barn (small conference room)


9:45 a.m.


Members and alternates present: Chuck Cousino, Tony Drautz, Ric Falardeau, Ron Lindsay, Ted Loudon, Dan Wagner, Regina Young

Guests present: none


Call to Order by Chuck Cousino, Chairman


·         Agenda review and approval

·         Review and approval of minutes from February 1, 2005 meeting. Approval pending next meeting. Need quorum


Old Business


·         Filter Fabric Specs – Ted to mail final version to all group by the end of May. Discussion of availability of the fabric and what distributors can provide it.

·         Commercial Flow Study – Ted reported no movement yet. A summer student has been hired for next 2-1/2 months. Goal: October 1, draft due

·         Site Compaction Info - Caution tape can be purchased through Bill Gregory and will soon be available through MOWTEC. Ordering will occur on the same form as the drainfield signs.

·         Wisconsin Website – Tony to get the URL to Wisconsin’s site and email it to Ted & Ric so that this can be on the Filter Fabric TAC publication.

·         Concrete Tank Manufacturers Association – Dan W. reported on the status of the National Precast work on septic tank specifications &/or plant or product certification program. Next meeting in June. Dan provided group with draft concrete septic tank installation guidelines and draft Michigan Concrete Septic Tank Association Certification Program documents. The MCSTA’s key concern is that those regulating septic tanks (such as MDEQ & Local Health Departments) must enforce such requirements in order to continue. Discussion of the requirements for 3rd party design, lab tests, and labeling or marking. Discussion of implementation. Dan asked that the TAC members read and comment to Dan. Need to refer to ASTM C-1227 when reading. Discussion on state level adoption or acceptance of standards.

·         Training Center Update – Ted reported on upcoming training sessions. Discussion of attendance objectives and class confirmation.

·         State Sanitary Code – Ric reported that MDEQ & Local Health Departments (LHD) have worked on a draft code based on the white paper. MDEQ is working on a document that could be supported from the regulatory community. Discussion on funding mechanisms. An April version of the most recent draft is upcoming. Discussion of other legislative initiatives regarding time-of-sale inspections and model code language. There is much work to be done. Once legislation is passed, rule writing will be conducted. Ric will email the MDEQ version upon request.

·         Community Wastewater Systems: Ric reported that a guidance document with LHD involvement is to be created with a MALEHA subcommittee to serve all parties. Will address who what when where variances for alternative systems and whether or not LHD is involved.


Special Agenda Item

·         TAC – where are we going and how do we get there?: Discussion of the purpose and accomplishments of TAC, including the Tollgate Center. Attendance is declining. TAC appears to be in transition. The needs today were discussed. Membership commitment of time and attendance must be given.  Is the council acting within our bylaws? Discussion of the need to get out information regarding TAC to the various groups. Discussion of articles in the MEHA Journal/Newsletter as a means to discuss TAC. Each representative of TAC needs to ask that their applicable group add a TAC report to their meeting agendas, if not already included.


What now? A plan to continue the success of TAC was drafted and includes:

1)       Market TAC (who we are, what we do) through existing newsletters. Chuck will work on an initial article and send to members for review

2)       Finish current projects.

3)       Technology Transfer: TAC can serve to pass on reports from national projects, provide synopsis via the newsletter, website and listservs.

4)       Communicate with those not in attendance that represent your affiliate. Explain importance of attendance and participation.

5)       Send article to MEHA newsletter editor.

6)       Consider field surveys of various technologies that have been installed for future meetings



Appointment of officers- not conducted lack of quorum


Future Meeting Dates: June 21st and August 9